Thursday, January 6, 2011

Baklava

Baklava seems like a scary thing to make, but it really wasn't as hard as it seemed. The hardest part was parting with the cash to buy the nuts that go in the filling. With a bunch of pistachios, walnuts, and almonds, this is one expensive dessert!


After shelling and grounding the nuts with some sugar and spices, I unrolled the thawed phyllo dough and cut it to the size of the pan. This stuff gets crumbly quick, so I made sure I had everything ready before I took it out of its packaging.


I had the filling and a bowl of melted butter ready to go.


After brushing the pan with butter, I put down the first sheet.


Each sheet of dough got a brushing of butter. I put down 10 sheets, one layer of filling, 6 sheets, another layer of filling, 6 more sheets, the last of the filling, and 8 sheets on top.



I baked the baklava then made the syrup to go on top. It has honey, sugar, water, cinnamon, and an orange peal (gets removed at the end).




Though it turned out pretty good, I don't think I cooked the syrup enough. I used Alton Brown's recipe (available on the food network site - I omitted the rose water because I didn't have any), and the reviews said if you cook the syrup as long as it said to, you'd end up with hard candy. I was overly cautious, and it didn't get thick enough!

It still turned out pretty good, and I'll definitely make it again! Apart from gathering ingredients and shelling the nuts, the process was pretty easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment