Sunday, March 14, 2010

Butterflies


It was a gray, cloudy morning this morning, so after church I decided to decorate something bright and cheery.


Butterflies are fun to decorate because they can be iced in a wide assortment of colors and patterns. I went with pink, blue, yellow, and black


I outlined the cookies with black, then let them sit and dry for several hours. The black shows up much better on sugar cookies than chocolate cookies, but I was in a chocolate cookie mood.


I started with the top wings and let them sit for a little while before I did the bottom wings to try to prevent the sections from blending together. I wasn't patient enough, though, so they blended a bit. I think they still turned out fine.


To add the details on top, I added lines and dots of different colors while the icing was still wet. The details will smooth out and the icing will dry flat. The zigzag pattern on the top wing is made by dragging a toothpick through lines while everything is still wet.


I'm happy with the way the butterflies turned out, and making bright, colorful cookies was just what I needed for a gray, rainy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment