Thursday, March 11, 2010

Early Cookie Decorating Attempts


I'm not feeling well today; my stupid sinuses causing me problems, so no new baking or decorating projects to showcase. Instead, here are some of my first attempts at cookie decorating from when I started in June.


These are the second batch of cookies I decorated. They don't look awful, but the piping is pretty bad (I can't say my piping is wonderful now, though. That's something that takes lots of practice).

What I remember most about these cookies is the intense almond flavor of the icing. I didn't have any clear vanilla at the time, so I used almond to flavor my icing and my hand slipped, spilling about a quarter of a bottle of almond extract into the icing.


This was the only successful product of my very first cookie decorating experiment. The others look pretty unappatizing. Trying to figure out the proper icing consistancy as well as a failed attempt at mixing food coloring to get purple resulted in this mess:


They looked gross, but they tasted fine.

I learned a lot from my mistakes in both these early batches. I think my third cookie decorating project was much more successful. It produced these cookies



I'm really loving this new hobby. I'm so glad a ran across a few really helpful blogs that gave me the confidence to try this myself!


No comments:

Post a Comment