Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Comic cookies


Comics are fun to make into cookies. They usually have simple shapes and just a few solid colors, which makes them easy to outline and flood.


Plus, they're fun!


I used black icing and a small icing tip (#1) to outline the characters. Then, I filled in the spaces with the appropriate color. I waited about 30 minutes for the outline to dry and at least 10-15 minutes for each flooded section to set before I filled in the adjacent section. If you don't wait long enough, two adjacent flooded sections can sometimes blend together over the black line, and I wanted to make sure the black lines showed just like the do in the comics.


I let the flooded icing dry about an hour before I put on the facial features.


The longer you wait for icing to dry the less likely you'll end up with bleeding. This waiting is especially important with black icing. I didn't wait long enough for these to dry. Next time I'll let the cookies sit overnight instead of just 30 minutes. You'll notice that Charlie Brown looks normal here:


But in this picture, taken the next morning, he looks like he has a beard:


That was definitely not intended.

Luckily, Snoopy did not suffer the same fate.


The Dilbert cookies have a little color bleeding, but it didn't ruin them.






I learned a few important lessons from this experiment.
1. Let black icing dry overnight to prevent bleeding.
2. Get a square cookie cutter. Using a pizza cutter and eyeballing it doesn't have the most even results.
3. Skin color icing needs white* added to it first to make it more opaque. The skin looked a bit greenish because the blue background showed through.



But over all, I'm happy with the comic cookies. Especially Snoopy. He makes me smile.

* Yes, they have white icing color, and I've learned that it's really important to use it. It makes the white brighter and more opaque so the background color won't show through. It's also handy if you want to lighten a color.

No comments:

Post a Comment