Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter!


I hope everyone is having a lovely Easter! Andrew and I had a wonderful time at church this morning celebrating Christ rising from the dead and conquering death! Yesterday, I made a bunch of flower cookies to give to my Kindergarten Sunday school class. I picked bright spring colors and a simple design so that I could make a bunch of cookies pretty quickly.


The most time consuming part of cookie decorating (besides cleaning up) is preparing the icing. Mixing it to the right consistency, separating it out, dying it the right colors, and putting it in piping bags takes a long time. Especially for this many colors.


I made a few bunnies after I have a little over 30 flowers (I was pretty sure we wouldn't have 30 kids). My grandmother's birthday fell on Easter this year, so I thought I'd send her some spring cookies. She's getting bunnies and a few flowers mailed to her (it will be a little late for a birthday present. I'm not very punctual about these things).

I picked the colors carefully. Kindergarten boys can sometimes be very sensitive about "girl colors," and because flowers are already a bit girly, I wanted to make sure I could give out blue to the boys. I figured yellow wouldn't cause any problems either.

I guess I could have made them all yellow and blue, but I like pink and purple, and I'm the one making the cookies so I if I want pink and purple cookies I make pink and purple cookies.



I packaged them in individual bags with a Happy Easter tag that listed the ingredients on the back. I handed them out to parents as they picked up the kids so that the parents could decide when and if the kids ate their cookie (I didn't want to have to worry about allergy problems, that's why I listed the ingredients).


After the bunnies dried I added sanding sugar to their tails. To add sanding sugar or sprinkles after a cookie is dry, just mix a solution of meringue powder and water and paint it onto the area you want the sugar to stick with a clean paintbrush (egg whites can be substituted for the meringue powder solution, but make sure they are pasteurized). Spoon the sugar onto the area, then gently shake off the extra sugar.



I made the eggs with some leftover dough just for fun. I love designs where I get to swirl colors together.


I hope everyone had a very happy Easter!



4 comments:

  1. They were delicious...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan!
    Kristel has shared some of your cookies with me-they are always so yummy and cute!! love your blog too!

    ReplyDelete