Thursday, February 18, 2010

Macarons


These are macarons, not to be confused with macaroons or macaroni. They are a light, cake like cookie usually sandwiched together with some kind of filling. I had been wanting to make them for a long time, but couldn't find almond flour. I finally found some at Kroger in the health food section, so this is one of my first macaron attempts.

To make these cookies, I first had to separate 4 large eggs and keep the egg whites covered in the refrigerator overnight. I then let the egg whites get to room temperature before I started baking. I made a meringue by beating the egg whites until foamy then adding 1/4 cup of regular sugar to the egg whites & beating that until it was glossy, white, and could form stiff peaks on the beater.

I folded in a cup of almond flour and 1 and 1/4 cups powdered sugar. I also added the zest of one lemon here to make lemon macarons (I later found out I should have dried the zest out overnight first, but it seemed to work fine without that step). The mixture had to be the consistency where it flowed slowly and looked glossy. I put it in piping bags with a large round tip and piped circles on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.


I baked them at 325 degreed with a wooden spoon propping the door open for 10 minutes (turning the pan at 5 minutes). They should be firm, not too brown, and have developed "feet" (a little skirt looking area at the bottom of the cookie).

I let them cool on the cookie sheet and slowly pealed them off. I had heard to put water on the cookie sheet between the parchment and the hot metal to steam them off, but it was messy, difficult, and no easier than pulling them off after they cooled.

I filled them with lemon buttercream icing and lemon curd. Andrew and I loved these cookies. When you bite into them the shell melts in your mouth and the flavor of the filling mixes with the flavor and texture of the cake-like cookies. They really were delicious and I plan to make them again in lots of different flavors and colors.

Here's the recipe:
1 cup almond flour (or finely ground, dry almonds)
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
the whites of 4 large eggs aged and room temperature
pinch of salt (add to eggs)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
the zest of 1 lemon
powdered food coloring if desired.

Mix almond flour and powdered sugar and sift; set aside.

Beat egg whites & salt until foamy. Add granulated sugar slowly while beating egg whites on high. Beat until the mixture is white and shiny and can form stiff peaks when you lift the beater out if the mixture.

Fold almond mixture into egg mixture and add zest and food coloring. Fold until the mixture flows, but stop before it gets too thin. Place mixture in piping bag with a large, round tip (you can substitute a plastic zip top bag with the corner cut, but it will be more difficult to handle). Pipe circles onto parchment paper lined cookies sheets.

Bake at 325 degrees for 8-10 minutes, turning the pan after 5 minutes. Prop over door open with a spoon while baking.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Just ran across this http://www.bakerella.com/tartelette-these-are-for-you/
    on Bakerella - didn't know if you already followed it....

    ReplyDelete