Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day Cupcakes



Homemade Hostess Cupcakes


What food says "I love you bunches!" better than chocolate? When I decided to bake something for my sweetie for Valentine's Day, I knew it had to be chocolate - and it had to be cake. Andrew loves most everything I bake, but if I bake something just for him, I bake cake.



I don't exactly dislike cake, but it's not my favorite way to consume sugar. If I'm going to eat something unhealthy and sweet, it'd be rather have cookies, pie, ice cream, or plain old, delicious chocolate.


But my apathy towards cake should not deprive my wonderful husband of one of his favorite desserts. So I decided to bake cupcakes for Valentine's Day. Chocolate cupcakes filled with vanilla cream and dipped in chocolate ganache.


If it weren't for the insane amount of dirty dishes I was left with at the end of this 4 part recipe, I'd say making these homemade hostess cupcakes was pretty easy. If you have a dishwasher at your house (or a someone willing to help with the dishes in exchange for food) this is a fun, tasty recipe.

To make them more fitting for Valentine's Day, I wrote love in cursive on some of them instead of the loop design normally found on Hostess cupcakes.
Andrew loved them - especially the filling - so I might be making a version of this for his birthday.

The recipe is at bakeat350.blogspot.com. I dipped the cupcakes in the chocolate instead of trying to spread it on with a knife, and the chocolate turned out really smooth with just the right thickness. I might use a different cake recipe next time; the cake was a bit dry (but the filling hides that). My oven runs hot, so the dryness could have come from that. We think they are tastier than the Hostess version, and I love that they can be personalized.

What did you make/buy/do for your sweetie for Valentine's Day?


1 comment: